Friday, October 9, 2015

Tug: A Verb

“After you find the first few generations, the road will become more difficult. . . . You will be tempted to stop and leave the hard work of finding to others who are more expert or to another time in your life. But you will also feel a tug on your heart to go on in the work, hard as it will be. As you decide, remember that the names which will be so difficult to find are of real people to whom you owe your existence in this world and whom you will meet again in the spirit world. . . . Their hearts are bound to you. Their hope is in your hands. You will have more than your own strength as you choose to labor on to find them.”
(Henry B. Eyring, in Conference Report, Apr. 2005, 82; or Ensign, May 2005, 79–80).


The "tugging"is a real thing. It is like a throbbing in your heart, one that doesn't stop for anything. It can keep you awake, it can envelop all your thoughts. The prompting to work on family history is powerful. If you ask me, that's how you know it is important. 

Since my courses started back up this fall, I have been so busy learning how to do family history work correctly, that I have slacked very much on actually doing the work. I am taking handwriting classes, technology/computer classes (as pertaining to family history work) and an overall genealogy class. I am learning so much and even retaining a lot more family history information than I ever thought I could! However, the purpose behind the learning has been pushed to the side for a moment. Que the "tugging." 

This week I made time to apply my learning a little better and look up a family member. This person's name has been on my mind constantly, around the clock, nonstop for a week now. Up until Conference Saturday, I hadn't even seen his name before (don't judge, I am new at this!).  I have been inputting as much information as possible on my RootsMagic to try to catch up to where he is on my tree. I have looked at hundreds of other people's family trees to compare information. I have researched everywhere I can think of to find anything about this person. No answers! Nothing but tugging, tugging and more tugging.

He is waiting for me to help. I feel it in my heart. I feel like it's all so close, but I am just missing something. While I pray, I know I am being given motivation to keep looking. In my classes, I am learning to help. 

I haven't been posting on here as much as I have wanted, until this week I got a wonderful response from someone who actually reads what I write. Thank you for that. I needed you this week to help me remember to write it all down!   

So here is to re-commitment to the application of what I am learning. Here is to making time to help! And here is to Michael Greenawalt- I will find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment